You can distribute a shared document to the entire class or separate documents to each table so that learners can work collaboratively within the Engageli classroom.
Learners will be able to see and edit documents directly on the Engageli screen. This is great for brainstorming sessions, in-class group assignments, worksheets, or presentation preparation.
Note: This feature is best used for files that you want learners to edit together in class. If you wish to simply share notes, presentations, or other files with the class, it is best to upload the file in the Chat. A comprehensive guide on how to use the chat can be found here.
- Class Document and Table Documents
- Distribute Documents in Class
- Prepare Shared Table Documents in the Admin Portal
Class Document and Table Documents
You distribute two kinds of documents in Engageli: a class document or table documents.
A class document is a file that opens for the entire class to view and edit directly on the Engageli screen.
- When to use: You can use this feature to distribute a file to learners to collaborate in real-time for full class contributions/activities.
A table document is a file that opens for a particular table. You can have the same file open or different files for different tables.
- When to use: You can use this feature to distribute a file to learners to collaborate in real-time on table-based activities, peer-to-peer instruction, station-based work, case studies per table, etc. You can distribute:
- One document shared with all tables
- Individual documents shared per table
For either a class document or separate table documents, you can share the following types of files:
- Google Document, Sheet, and Slides
- Microsoft 365 Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
Note: Microsoft 365 files open within Engageli in view-only mode. For editing, the files will open in a new tab.
Distribute Documents in Class
You can distribute documents in class without any prior setup.
1. Start your class.
2. When you are ready to distribute the documents, click the Present button at the bottom of the screen.
3. Select either Distribute Doc or Distribute Docs.
4. For a classroom doc, paste the link to the file you want to share and then click the Share button.
5. For table documents, select the set of files you want to share if you added them to the Admin Portal before class or click the plus sign to add the links.
Note: You have to add links for each table, even if it’s the same file for each table.
Pro tip! Save time by adding table document links to the Admin Portal before class. Add them in the Class Documents or Table Documents section.
6. Learners will then see the document you have shared and be able to edit directly on the documents.
You can change the links to be shared at any point during the class.
After enabling a shared doc, you will see a prompt to change the classroom audio to Table Mode.
7. When you are ready to collect the documents, click the Present button again, and then Stop. After clicking, learners will no longer be able to see or edit the document.
Prepare Shared Table Documents in the Admin Portal
1. Go to the Admin Portal.
2. Click Class Management on the left to expand the menu.
3. Select your class or use the search field to find your class.
4. Click Materials.
5. If you have sub-rooms created, click which room you want to add materials to, and then select the plus sign.
6. Give the set a name.
7. Select which type of files you want to share (G-Suite or Office 365).
8. Click Add.
9. Paste the shared links for the files you want to distribute in class. You can distribute one document per table. Learners seated at that table will be shown that document after activating the feature during class.
10. Confirm that the linked documents are made editable for/by your class before distributing them. You should do this directly in the Google file or Microsoft 365 file that you plan to share.
Need more help? Contact Support.