Playback Rooms are Engageli classrooms where all users can, independently or in a group of up to 10, access and engage with course content. Playback Rooms are open 24/7 and learners can use them for independent and group work without instructors or TAs.
Sitting around a virtual table, learners can gather to review class recordings, participate in polls, ask and answer questions in the Q&A, take notes, and chat, talk, and learn with other classmates.
You can access all recordings directly from the same classroom link that you use for your live Engageli classes.
1. Open the classroom URL and select Playback room at the top of the screen.
2. Then, click Enter Playback Room.
Playback Rooms open to a view of the Playback Player, which allows you to watch class recordings and other videos. Choose a video to watch from the Select Recording drop-down menu, and then click the play video button in the middle of the playback player.
Then, you can easily engage with the recording and material. You can:
- Move through the video recording (play, pause, fast forward, back up).
- Answer polls as they come up in a class recording.
- Respond to class polls and view shared poll responses from the class.
- Review and take notes.
- Ask and answer questions from class in the Q&A.
- Open a whiteboard for brainstorming, sketching, and diagramming.
- View Self-Paced Materials (PDFs).
- Screen Share.
- View the transcript of a class recording.
- Chat with other users in the Playback room. (Go to the "Invite Other Participants" section to learn more.)
Click the More Actions (three dots) menu to open the Playback Room settings:
- View Keyboard Shortcuts - Access keyboard shortcuts.
- Switch between Dark and Light Theme - Change the platform theme color.
- Display Captions - Display closed captions for audio.
- Low Bandwidth Mode - Reduces the bandwidth use of the platform by removing your video feed and creating a merged gallery.
- High Bandwidth Mode
- Start Tour - Open a step-by-step tour of the Playback Room.
- Leave Feedback - Open a form in a new browser tab where you can leave feedback for Engageli.
- Contact Support for Help - Open a new browser tab with a form to submit a help ticket.
Click the Gear icon to open the audio/video and accessibility settings.
You can invite others to a Playback Room for supplemental instruction, office hours, tutoring, or whenever you want to review a class recording or class content with others.
Click the Invite & Info button to get the invite link.
You can invite participants on the roster or guests who are not on the roster. By default, guest links are enabled for Playback Rooms. You can change that setting in the Admin Portal or within the live classroom. Click here to learn more.
As the host who started the group, you will retain the playback controls. That means you will control which class recording, video, or PDF is selected for review. You can pass the playback controls to another participant by clicking the three-dot menu in the person's video feed, and then clicking Make Host.
Use Engageli to edit and trim class recordings to share the best version of the class with learners. Click here to learn more.
Instructors can upload external videos to the Admin Portal for learners to view in the Playback Room. This allows instructors to upload supplemental video content or instructional videos for flipped classroom models. Learners can engage with the video content the same way they do with the class recordings: take notes, annotated screenshots, post in the Q&A, collaborate, etc.
Click here to learn how to upload a video for the Playback Room in the Admin Portal.
Instructors can add PDFs of presentations, readings, and other materials to the Playback Room. Learners can view the content in the Playback Room along with watching class recordings, reviewing notes taken in class, and responding to Q&A posts.
Click here to learn how to upload PDFs for the Playback Room in the Admin Portal.
Engageli measures the percentage of class session time a participant attended each class session, whether synchronously or asynchronously in an Engageli Playback Room. Participants can receive attendance credit for watching class recordings in the Playback Room.
Peer-to-Peer Post-Class Learning
- Learners can join a Playback Room to review the class recording and discuss a prompt posted in the Q&A tab. Learners can add questions and responses in the Q&A for the instructor to later review.
- Instructors can direct learners to review a specific class recording that includes an in-class poll. Have the learners pause the video to discuss their responses to the poll question and summarize the group’s findings in the Q&A.
- Instructors can use a Playback Room for flipped classroom instruction:
- Learners can create study hall groups to engage with foundational material in the class recordings or posted in the Q&A to benefit from peer-to-peer learning.
- They can also establish a foundation of key concepts before attending live sessions through interactive learning activities and instructor-led group work and in-depth application of the subject matter.
Tutoring / Supplemental Instruction
TAs or a group leader can create a study hall session for tutoring/supplemental instruction, group office hour sessions, and exam preparation.
Group Project Work
Learners can work on group projects. The whiteboard and chat thread can be downloaded, and links to reference materials can be shared in the Q&A.
Need more help? Contact Support.