Playback Rooms are Engageli classrooms where all users can, independently or in a group of up to 10, access and engage with course content. Playback Rooms are open 24/7 and learners can use them for independent and group work without instructors or TAs.
Sitting around a virtual table, learners can gather to review class recordings, participate in polls, ask and answer questions in the Q&A, take notes, and chat, talk, and learn with other classmates.
Engageli 3.1 and Engageli 3.0 will differ in appearance and some functionality.
This article covers:
- Accessing Playback Rooms
- Playback Player & Class Recordings
- Playback Room Features
- Playback Room Settings
- Invite Other Participants
- Edit Class Recordings
- Upload External Videos and PDFs for Self-Paced Study [Engageli 3.0]
- Complete Assignments [Engageli 3.1]
- Playback Room Asynchronous Attendance
- Use Cases: Using Playback Rooms
Accessing Playback Rooms
You can access all recordings directly from the same classroom link that you use for your live Engageli classes. You can also access Playback rooms from your Class Portal.
1. Open the classroom URL and select Playback room at the top of the screen.
2. Then, click Enter Playback room.
Playback Player & Class Recordings
Playback Rooms open to a view of the Playback Player and a list of class recordings. Choose a class recording or video to watch from the list, and then click the play video button in the middle of the playback player.[In Engageli 3.0, use the Select Recording drop-down menu.] Then, you can easily engage with the recording and material. You can:
- Move through the video recording (play, pause, fast forward, back up).
- Answer polls as they come up in a class recording.
- Respond to class polls and view shared poll responses from the class.
Playback Room Features
In addition to watching class recordings and videos, you can
- Take notes and review notes taken in the live class.
- Ask and answer questions from class in the Q&A.
- Share a screen.
- Share a PDF. [Engageli 3.1 only]
- Open a whiteboard for brainstorming, sketching, and diagramming.
- Complete assigned Modules. [Engageli 3.1 only]
- View the transcript of a class recording.
- Use reactions and sounds.
- Chat with other users in the Playback room.
- Request help from instructors and TA(s). [Engageli 3.1 only]
- View Self-Paced Materials (PDFs).
Playback Room Settings
Click Settings to open the Playback room settings:
- Audio & Video - add a virtual background, blur your background, or change your audio output devices.
- Display Captions - Display closed captions for audio.
- Appearance - Change the platform interface language [Engageli 3.1 only] or theme color.
In Engageli 3.0, Click the More Actions (three dots) menu to open the Playback room settings.
Invite Other Participants
You can invite others to a Playback Room for supplemental instruction, office hours, tutoring, or whenever you want to review a class recording or class content with others.
Click Invite & Info [link icon] at the bottom right of the screen to get the invite link.
You can invite participants on the roster or guests who are not on the roster. By default, guest links are enabled for Playback Rooms. You can change that setting in the Admin Portal or within the live classroom. Click here to learn more.
As the host who started the group, you will retain the playback controls. That means you will control which class recording, video, or module assignment is selected for review. You can also mute and ask others to unmute as needed. To pass the playback controls to another participant:
1. Open the Gallery [Tablemates in Engageli 3.0] at the bottom of the screen.
2. Then click the three-dot menu in the person's video feed.
3. Click Make Host.
Edit Class Recordings
Use Engageli to edit and trim class recordings to share the best version of the class with learners. Click here to learn more.
Upload External Videos and PDFs for Self-Paced Study [Engageli 3.0]
Instructors can upload external videos to the Admin Portal for learners to view in the Playback Room. This allows instructors to upload supplemental video content or instructional videos for flipped classroom models. Learners can engage with the video content the same way they do with the class recordings: take notes, annotate screenshots, post in the Q&A, collaborate, etc.
Click here to learn how to upload a video for the Playback Room in the Admin Portal.
Instructors can add PDFs of presentations, readings, and other materials to the Playback Room. Learners can view the content in the Playback Room along with watching class recordings, reviewing notes taken in class, and responding to Q&A posts.
Click here to learn how to upload PDFs for the Playback Room in the Admin Portal.
Complete Assignments [Engageli 3.1]
Assignments allow instructors to easily and effectively author asynchronous experiences for their learners, such as adding course materials, documents and articles, self-paced polls (i.e., those not run during the live session), supplemental or additional recordings, and YouTube videos.
1. Select Assignments from the bottom toolbar. Any assignments will appear in the right pane.
2. If the assignments have to be completed in order, assignments will be grayed out until you complete the task before. You will also have to complete the tasks in the order as assigned
3. If the assignments do not have to be completed in order, you can pick any assignment and tasks to complete.
4. When you finish all the tasks, the assignment will be marked complete.
Playback Room Asynchronous Attendance
Engageli measures the percentage of class session time a participant attended each class session, whether synchronously or asynchronously in an Engageli Playback Room. Participants can receive attendance credit for watching class recordings in the Playback Room.
Use Cases: Using Playback Rooms
Peer-to-Peer Post-Class Learning
- Learners can join a Playback Room to review the class recording and discuss a prompt posted in the Q&A tab. Learners can add questions and responses in the Q&A for the instructor to later review.
- Instructors can direct learners to review a specific class recording that includes an in-class poll. Have the learners pause the video to discuss their responses to the poll question and summarize the group’s findings in the Q&A.
- Instructors can use a Playback Room for flipped classroom instruction:
- Learners can create study hall groups to engage with foundational material in the class recordings or posted in the Q&A to benefit from peer-to-peer learning.
- They can also establish a foundation of key concepts before attending live sessions through interactive learning activities instructor-led group work and in-depth application of the subject matter.
Tutoring / Supplemental Instruction
TAs or a group leader can create a study hall session for tutoring/supplemental instruction, group office hour sessions, and exam preparation.
Group Project Work
Learners can work on group projects. The whiteboard and chat thread can be downloaded, and links to reference materials can be shared in the Q&A.
Need more help? Contact Support.