Note: Click Browser or Instructor Application to check which version of Engageli you're currently using.
These notes provide information about Engageli 3.0, including new and enhanced features, improvements, and resolved issues.
Engageli 3.0 takes the best of Engageli to a new level with a focus on ease-of-use. Based on feedback from partners, we've redesigned the Engageli classroom to better support teaching and active learning and provide a flexible learning environment for all participants. In addition to a variety of new features, Engageli’s team has enhanced the overall teaching and learning experience in many ways.
- Deaf and hard-of-hearing users can now learn with a dedicated sign language interpreter. Users can overlay the interpreter’s video over their classroom windows and customize the size and placement of the video at any time.
- Instructors can now customize the asynchronous experience. They can upload external videos to be viewed in an Engageli Playback Room, or upload PDFs for learners to access. They can also edit and trim class recordings to share the best version of the class with learners.
Chat, Notes, Q&A
- The new and improved chat allows users to filter and search for chat messages for better ease of use. Browser users can take and annotate screenshots in the chat and reply and add reactions (thumbs, hearts, etc.) to messages.
In-class Teaching Tools
- The Distributed Docs feature has been enhanced to include Google Sheets and Slides and Microsoft 365 Word, Excel, and Powerpoint files. Instructors can share a file for class-wide collaboration as well as add and edit shared files during the class session, instead of preloading in the Admin Portal.
- New emojis and sounds have been added as reactions to enable users to give clear and immediate feedback. Instructors can customize the settings for the reactions.
- The Admin Portal has been updated with new classroom filters and search capabilities, automatically enabled classroom guest links, and a calendar invitation option that makes setting up classes easier. Instructors and admins can now filter the Chat, Poll, Speak Time, and Hand Raise analytics by date range.
Please select an accordion to learn about Engageli 3.0 Enhancements and Resolved Issues.
- Improved the live captioning user interface so the display is less choppy and better for long utterances.
- Added screen reader alerts to enable VoiceOver to better support blind or low-vision users.
- Added keyboard shortcuts and a keyboard shortcuts menu to the classroom for all roles.
Asynchronous Experience/Playback Room
- Edit the Playback Room recording, review changes before saving, and revert back to the original video if needed.
- Improved playback room experience with the ability to access live session class whiteboards in the class recordings.
- Added ability to download transcripts for class recordings in the Admin Portal.
- Improved recording quality by automatically pausing the recorder when there’s no audio or video to record.
Chat, Notes, Q&A
- Improved chat settings including:
- Users can edit or delete sent chat messages. (Learners can delete their own sent messages.
- Instructors and TAs can delete any sent message.)
- Instructors (on browser) can send a chat message to a specific table without joining the table first.
- Learners can send messages to the Room anonymously. (Messages with uploaded files cannot be sent anonymously.)
- Enhanced chat experience allowing latecomers to see previously sent messages. This setting can be enabled on the institutional level.
- Added customization for instructors and TAs to send messages as announcement notifications that appear at the top of the screen as well as in the chat.
- Added ability to include clickable hyperlinks in the Chat, Notes, and Q&A.
- Consolidated dedicated TA channel into the Staff channel.
- Updated speak time engagements for accuracy.
- Use of the timer, Notes, audio modes, classroom tour, and support link within the classroom are tracked as engagement events.
- Added a link to the scheduler on the Analytics pages to better help instructors get their classroom data.
- Updated and improved the downloadable CSV file for attendance data and grades.
- Updated the data filters to better separate data between guests and authenticated users.
- Added REST API validation.
- Increased Engageli classroom capacity to 300 users in a single classroom.
- Improved support for automatic up/down scaling of media server nodes.
- Added support for Brave in addition to Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome for learners and browser-based instructors.
In-Class Teaching Tools
- Added podium control for users on the podium to control navigation of the PDF Live Share to present to the class.
- Added ability for instructors to split the class into tables based on similar or differing poll responses, enabling learners to engage with their like-minded peers, or share their unique opinions. (Instructors can enable the poll seating directly from the live poll or from the Tables tab).
- Improved poll participation so learners are automatically redirected to live polls if they’ve navigated to other views.
- Enhanced Engageli whiteboard with more instructor controls and a tool to add formulas and equations.
Improved screen share experience so instructors can allow learners to automatically share screens without needing approval.
- Instructors can easily delete tables 5 at a time.
- Updated the Action Tags to distribute a class document for seamless classroom management.
- Improved the QR scan for tags in documents and presentations.
- Shared files can also be added in the Admin Portal for sub-rooms.
In Product Training / Self-Service Support
- Added the ability to upload a bulk pre-approved list of accounts via CSV file.
- Improved administrative control of user access including the ability to add/delete the “Restricted” flag and add unregistered users to the waiting list. An API has been added to update the “Restricted” flag.
- Updated access to allow logins with email verification of username and password.
- Automated the creation of instructor accounts.
- The login pages have been updated to include a class search bar, new terms and conditions, and learners can see their classrooms and class schedule.
- LTI-integrated Learning Management Systems (LMS) will update the user status in Engageli (active/inactive) if the user enrollment in the LMS is changed (suspended/removed).
- The Engageli Admin Portal will show which users were created by LTI provision.
- Improved customization at the institution level:
- The attendance threshold can now be customized to institutional policies.
- Institutions can choose to close classrooms 15 minutes after the instructor leaves or allow learners to remain in the classroom past those 15 minutes.
- Users with advanced administrative privileges can adjust classroom settings that apply across an institution.
- Improved guest experience:
- A new setting has been added to the class configurations to allow guest links for Playback Rooms.
- Guest links are automatically extended if the classroom is active.
- Instructors and admins can download the class roster.
- Content Management has been updated to improve the ease of copying and sharing files across classrooms.
- Added ability for premium subscribers to customize Engageli with their specific logos and color palettes. (Only available on the browser.)
- Improved the interface to activate sub-rooms.
User Experience/User Interface
- Enhanced user experience and interface:
- Browser-based instructors can more easily activate classroom and table activities using the new Actions button.
- My View drop-down appears only when the user is in full-screen mode.
- Learners, TAs, and browser-based instructors can switch between Dark and Light themes depending on preference and lighting.
- The Tablemate’s panel opens automatically for learners and TAs when the classroom audio is in Table Mode. Instructors will see a Tablemates panel when they join a table.
- New recorder and timer design.
- If the Class Gallery is less than ¾ full, the view will automatically switch to a dynamic view of only the logged-in users rather than displaying empty video feeds.
- In the Instructor Application, the Emoji thermometer has been removed since users have access to more emojis and reactions.
- Added new virtual backgrounds and avatars for when user cameras are turned off.
- Users can see themselves in the Class Gallery and search for other users in the Class Gallery in addition to the Tables tab.
- When in low bandwidth mode, users can see the microphone icon in the merged gallery view to see which users are muted and unmuted.
- New user "confetti" display is only shown upon first login for 1 second to reduce disruption.
- Enhanced Instructor experience
- Browser-based instructors can open and adjust the classroom settings within the live classroom.
- Instructors can share announcements across sub-rooms more easily with direct-to-room messages in the Chat.
- The Q&A section has been removed from the Admin Portal. Instructors can still access and download the Q&A in the live classroom and Playback Room.
- Instructors can access the Admin Portal to edit classrooms from the login screen on browsers.
- Enhanced TA experience:
- TAs can mute all learners and ask all learners to unmute or turn their cameras on.
- Added a specific classroom tour for TAs.
- TAs no longer need approval for screen shares.
- Guest user display names have been updated from “–John” to “John (Guest)” so guest users can be clearly identified. Guest users can also use Engageli virtual backgrounds and avatars.
- Added notifications when:
- Users are trying to log in with an incorrect email address.
- Users are trying to speak while muted.
- The instructor enables high bandwidth mode.
- Roster-elevated learners attempt to login to the Admin Portal.
- The instructor unmutes a youtube video for learners and TAs to do the same
- Improved notifications for when:
- The instructor switches audio modes (Room Mode and Table Mode).
- Added a contextual button to reload a PDF live share when users have a connection issue.
- Added an instructor's notification to recommend switching to table audio when table activities are enabled.
- Added appropriate error message for admins when a user is already in the sandbox but within a different tenant.
- Enhanced the Systems Test on the login screen to better alert users to a failure and relevant Help Center articles have been added to help troubleshoot issues.
- Added firewall detection and a more extensive set of system and network tests with improved messaging.
- Improved user experience by storing background settings so users will see the same selected virtual background and/or avatar upon a new login.
- Adjusted camera zoom for Mac users.
- Replaced video feeds with avatars when users raise a hand and go to the podium, so the video feeds are not displayed twice.
- Improved and updated recorder and recorder status.
- Resolved accessibility issues with color contrast, caption, keyboard operation, screen reader, ARIA attributes, label, focus order, header element, and landmark.
- Browser-based co-instructors can see poll results after entering class in the middle of the poll.
- Resolved issues with duplicate answers in word cloud polls.
- Browser-based co-instructors can change tables during table activities activated by the instructor using the application.
- Refined sub-room settings to allow only instructors to close all rooms.
- Resolved issue with timer dings and AirPods.
- Resolved issue of AirPod removal disabling videos.
- Resolved Scheduler issue of allowing class times that exceed the class expiration time.
- Resolved issue with engagement markers in the Tables and List views in the Instructor Application.
- Resolved whiteboard tool menu display issue for browser-based instructors.
- Site Management in the Admin Portal now displays a warning about unsaved changes.
- Resolved missing additional information for Chat engagement data CSV file.
- API event stream now supports “to” and “from” filters.
- Resolved recording issue when a black screen displays in the recording after learners leave main room to join a sub-room.
- Resolved navigation issue with the Preview Preset in the Admin Portal’s Tables & Presets section.
- OpenID Connect login retains user display names from session to session.
Instructors cannot select high and low bandwidth modes at the same time.
- Resolved issue with date displayed on Attendance analytics chart in the Admin Portal.
- Resolved issue with file type filter and folder search in the Admin Portal’s Content Management.
- Resolved issue with character limit for tag names in the Action Tags Lab.
- Resolved issue with accessing Actions menu in the Instructor Application on smaller screens.
- Resolved issue with accessing Actions menu in the Instructor Application on smaller screens.
- Resolved issue with Poll analytics displaying co-instructor responses when acting as TA.
- Resolved issue with Scheduler and forward arrow being disabled and preventing classes being scheduled in the next month.
- Resolved issue with word cloud poll response display in Playback Rooms.
- Resolved issue with the visibility of users on the podium in full-screen mode.
- Resolved issue with Poll analytics page loading delay.
- Resolved issue with Playback Room view when the whiteboard is open.
- Resolved issue with users on the panel staying muted during video clips. Users will be unmuted after the video clip stops.
- Resolved issue with co-instructors taking screenshots of their own screen share in the Notes.
- Resolved issue of sub-rooms opening in Table Mode when the main room is in Table Mode.
- Resolved issue with timer flashing after being stopped for browser-based instructors.
- Resolved issue of learners not being muted when a YouTube clip is played for the first time in a class session.
- Button that incorrectly allowed system audio sharing from the downloadable instructor application was removed.
Click here to learn more about the different versions of Engageli. Contact your Engageli Partner Success Manager or firstname.lastname@example.org for information about upgrading to Engageli 3.0.
Need more help? Contact Support.