These notes provide information about the release of Engageli 3.1.46, including new and enhanced features, improvements, and resolved issues.
- New Directions for Closed Captions
If Closed Captions have not been enabled in the Admin Portal, instructors see instructions to turn on live captions through their browser and a link to a Help Center article with instructions on how to enable captions before their next class.
Manage Class Button
For instructors, on the Live class and Playback room login screens, the Manage Class button has been moved for easier access. The class name has been moved to the left.
- Improved Navigation for the PDF Share
The page navigation has been repositioned to the center of the screen. The three-dot menu opens to the annotation and zoom in/out buttons.
- Hybrid Controls Hidden When Not Enabled
When not enabled in the Admin Portal, instructors will not see Enable Hybrid Controls in the More Actions (three-dot) menu in the live classroom. This is a beta feature and is off by default.
- Private Recordings
Instructors and TAs can see private, unpublished class recordings in the My Class Portal and in the Playback room. This allows instructors to view and edit the recording, if needed, before publishing for learners. The privacy settings for recordings can be adjusted in the Admin Portal.
- Improved Polls Tab for Engageli Modules
For instructors, the Polls tab in Engageli Modules has been enhanced. Engageli Modules are supplemental coursework, reading, videos, etc. for learners to access in Playback rooms. The Polls tab now displays the page, correct answer (if available), and percentage of correct answers as well as a button to download a CSV file of learners' poll answers.
- Mute Learners Including Upon Login
“Mute all learners” has been updated to “Mute Learners Including Upon Login”. This mutes all learners in the live class, as well as automatically muting learners who later join the session.
- New Directions for Closed Captions
If Closed Captions have not been enabled, learners see instructors for how to turn on live captions through their browser.
- Hybrid Controls Hidden
When not enabled by the instructor, learners will not see Enable Hybrid Controls in the More Actions (three-dot) menu.
- Hybrid Groups at the Same Table
Learners in collocated hybrid groups are automatically placed at and restricted to the same table in the Tables tab.
- Live Class Option Only
When Interaction Controls are enabled learners will see only the option for the Live class on the login screen when using the regular class URL. They will not have a toggle for the Playback room. Learners will have access to the Playback room using a specific URL provided by the instructor.
- No Private Chats when Interaction Controls are Enabled
When Interaction Controls are enabled learners can send direct messages to the staff and message the Room and their table. They cannot send direct messages to each other.
Playback Room Updates
- Simplified Toolbar for Learners
When learners enter Playback rooms alone, the Present button is not available. The Present button, which offers screen sharing, whiteboard, and the PDF Share, becomes visible when others join the Playback room.
- New UI for Invitations and Room Access
There’s a new icon for room access and invitations. “By invitation” replaces “Public/Private Mode”.
- Improved UI for Invitations
When clicking “By invitation” two options are displayed: Open (Make the room public to all class participants) and By invitation (Makes the room accessible with a shareable private link that can be reset.)
- Tooltip for Reset Link
New tooltip to explain how the “Reset Link” works.
- Improved Navigation UI for Modules
Improved navigation between tasks within Modules and repositioned navigation buttons for PDFs.
Admin Portal Updates
- Improved Scrolling for Classes
More convenient scrolling for the class list in the Admin Portal.
- Improved Messaging for Sitewide Classroom Default
Improved behavior and messaging of sitewide classroom defaults to apply only to new classes created after being enabled. This mitigates the risk of erroneously application to previously configured classrooms.
- Interaction Controls - Whiteboard Restrictions
When Interaction Controls are enabled, learners will not be able to annotate on the class whiteboard. Instructors can change this setting in the live class if needed.
- Interaction Controls
Improved messaging to explain all the settings disabled or enabled when the Interaction Controls are turned on.
- Simplified Setting for Guest Links
There is 1 setting in the Common Configuration settings to enable/disable guest links for both the Live Class and Playback Room.
- iOS App for iPads
The Engageli iOS app for learners is available for iPads.
- iPad Safari Support
Users can log into Engageli classrooms on iPads using Safari. Screen sharing is not available. Safari is not supported on MacOS.
- Improved UI for Gallery on Low-Power Devices
Users on low-power machines will see a Class Gallery with 8 videos instead of 20 and no right-side gallery.
- Resolved issue where invite links were not able to be created consistently when Interaction Controls were enabled or disabled.
- Resolved issue where Guest Links were disabled sitewide but still available in the individual classroom.
- Resolved workflow issue where a TA on the podium, when getting promoted to Instructor role, did not have their hand lowered.
- Introduced restrictions to block Engageli Classroom from launching within unsupported Safari and Naver browsers.
- Resolved issue where a person speaking while in Table mode was erroneously recorded.
- Resolved issue where during recording a live session, the recording would stop and not resume recording.
- Resolved issue that caused learners on iPad and Safari to lose audio and get “stuck” when watching a YouTube clip. In addition, it is recommended for older generation iPads to run in low bandwidth mode.
- Resolved issue with not being able to move learners between tables in large classes.
- Resolved issue with the Overlay gallery sometimes not displaying names.
- Resolved issue with missing page numbers on PDF display for learners.
- Resolved issue with the notes not appearing correctly or failing to appear in some cases.
- Resolved issue with uploaded images covering other elements on the whiteboard after switching tabs.
- Resolved issue with text polls (word clouds) not displaying answers that included spaces.
- Resolved issue with losing instructor audio when the instructor switched to low bandwidth mode.
- Improved workflow for "Get Help" from the Playback room. Learners can now select Get Help, which alerts staff (by email, My Class Portal and login screen notifications) to join the Playback room and assist the learner.
- Resolved issue that prevented a Playback room participant from resetting their invitation links.
- Resolved issue when it was not clear that a participant in the Playback room lost connectivity, and then tried to play a recording. An inaccurate message was displayed stating that the recording was made private.
- Poll participation in Playback room class recordings (NOT Modules) is shown in Admin Portal.
- Resolved issue with class recordings sometimes missing the first 30 seconds of audio.
- Resolved issue with the displayed number of tasks not corresponding to the actual number of tasks in the Module.
- Resolved issue with lost attendance data for learners who changed their email addresses.
- Resolved issue with CSV file downloads for class names containing a period.
- Resolved issue with invalid Playback and Combined attendance for select classes.
- Resolved issue when "leave" event is lost.
- Resolved issue with PDF warnings being shown when uploading files in the Admin Portal.
- Resolved issue with uploading PDF files with capitalized extensions.
- Resolved issue with the format of the face time files.
- Resolved issue with the recording file format.
- Resolved issue with uploading M4V files.
- Resolved issue in Class Management when the Archive button was disabled when selecting classes in bulk to archive.
- Resolved issue with Interaction Controls not working in the Instructor class configuration settings after it was changed at the Site Management level.
- Resolved issue with LTI learners being removed from presets when they become inactive in another class.
- Practice with a Robot Learner
This feature has been replaced by the Engageli immersive tour.
- Moderated Mode
The Moderated Mode feature to restrict learner access to the podium has been removed from the legacy desktop app.