If you’re teaching on Engageli using the Google Chrome browser and can only share a Chrome table and not a window or the entire screen, or if you can’t share your screen at all, follow these steps to resolve the issue.
1. Go to the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen.
2. Select System Preferences.
3. Select Security & Privacy.
4. Click the lock icon at the bottom to make changes.
5. Enter your password to unlock.
6. Find the Screen Recording option under the Privacy tab of this menu.
7. If you do not see Google Chrome in the screen recording section, click the plus icon.
8. Select Google Chrome from your applications folder, and then click Open.
9. If Google Chrome is already checked, uncheck and then recheck the box.
10. If Google Chrome is not already checked, check the box.
11. Quit and relaunch the browser.
12. Click the lock icon to prevent further changes.
Note: You must restart Google Chrome for these changes to take.
This is only for Google Chrome and not for the Engageli application. Click here for instructions to resolve screen sharing issues using the Engageli instructor application on a Mac.
Check Sharing Settings
1. To check your Sharing settings, go to the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen.
2. Select System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
3. Click Sharing from the pop-up window.
4. Check the box for Screen Sharing if it is not already checked.
Note: If the box for Remote Management is checked, you might not be able to share your entire screen on Engageli, and will need to contact an Administrator at your institution. However, you will be able to share browser tabs.
You should now be able to share your screen with the class, but if you are still having trouble you should answer the following questions:
- What device are you using? We currently do not support mobile or tablet devices. If a user is on one of these, instruct them to join via laptop, computer, or Chromebook.
- What browser are you using? We currently do not recommend Safari or Firefox browsers. If a user is on one of these, invite them to join Engageli via Chrome, Edge, or a browser on Chromium (Opera, Vivaldi, Brave).
- Have you tried refreshing the browser? If not, instruct the user to refresh the browser (log out and log back in). Simply taking this action can sometimes solve your problem.
- Do you have an extension running that is blocking screen sharing? Check your extensions or 3rd party anti-virus software.
- Did your permissions get reset? Sometimes permissions are reset without any notification, so recheck your settings to make sure Engageli has permission to share and record your screen.
If none of this works, reach out to our Support team.
You can also use the PDF Live Share to share a presentation directly in Engageli without sharing your screen.